If you have a new product, website or company, you may be in the market for a brand new logo. And logos are very important! Take a look at this guide on 5 features of every great logo and get some inspiration for your next project!
A great logo is:
1. Simple: Simplicity is key. You want a simple logo that is recognizable, with a legible font. Busy logos are hard to read, so the more you can streamline your design, the better.
2. Appropriate: A good logo for one company may be a terrible logo for another. It really depends on your industry and audience.
For example, Saje, a company that produces natural wellness products, uses a rounded, old-Sanskrit looking font in their logo. This is appropriate to their industry and will attract an audience that is familiar with this aesthetic.
Car and tech design company Tesla uses a minimalist, sharp, more angular font that is appropriate for their target customer base. It would be unusual to see Saje’s logo on a vehicle, right? And vice versa.
3. Memorable: You want your logo to stand out from others in its category. Therefore, super trendy and overdone logos may not get you the best results.
Think about incorporating a mascot, icon imagery, tagline or other detail that makes your brand unique and that will directly speak to your audience.
4. Versatile: A logo has many, many applications and uses. Therefore, you want a logo that will easily work in every situation. Make sure your logo works in different colors (and with all the company’s branding colors), sizes, and that it can be set on any backdrop. Lastly, make sure your logo file is fully scalable and can both blown up to billboard size or made into a favicon.
5. Well Designed: This seems like a given…yep! A good logo designer will pay attention to font, color, symmetry, proportions and negative space.
Color is extremely important. Consider learning about the emotions we connect to different colors and think about how these compare to your company’s goals. Also, make sure you are choosing fonts that are legible, thick enough to stand out against a background without seeming like plain text, and attractive.
We hope this guide has been useful! For more design tips, stay up-to-date with our weekly newsletter by subscribing on our website and follow us on social!