Sustainable food management is the approach to reduce wasted food and its impact over the entire life cycle. Composting solutions are an important part of a sustainable waste management system, but it can be a challenge, due to smelly compost bins, excess moisture, too little moisture, attracting rodents, etc. A recent campaign on Indiegogo introduces the world’s first modular in-garden composting system that fixes those problems in the Subpod.
The Subpod® is the growth hub that turns food waste into living soil without the mess. Developed in Byron Bay by Andrew Hayim De Vries, founder of Compost Central, the patent pending Subpod system is now being used in backyards, cafes, community gardens and residential development sites in Sri Lanka, Byron Bay, Melbourne and Sydney.
The innovative system composts without the odors, vermin and the hard work of traditional composting. Using worms and microbes, the movement between the Subpod and garden beds builds soil fertility and plant health. The natural process aerates the soil and adds good bacteria throughout your garden, allowing a nutrient-dense food grown at home.
Simple in appearance, the Subpod has been meticulously tested. It’s not only a compost system but the Subpod doubles as a sturdy bench seat! Take a rest after feeding the worms and reconnect with your garden.
In less than 3 minutes, and with no tools or technical know-how, you can be all setup, ready to install a Subpod in your garden. The system also has a locking device which is effective in a shared or community garden.
Simple Install & Maintenance
- Install: Embed the system into the soil of your garden, with the top vents above ground. Ideally in a raised garden bed so top can be used as a seat.
- Fill: Fill the Subpod with healthy worms, castings and other starter materials. Leave the worms for 6 days to settle in.
- Feed & Mix: Feed the Subpod 2x/week with food scraps & carbon matter. Mix with an aerator tool.
- Spread: Once the Subpod is filled, leave it for 10 days to be processed. Then it’s time to take out some of the rich, compost soil and spread it across your surrounding gardens.
Reducing food waste does great things for our environment. It recycles kitchen and food waste as much as 30% , reduces the need for chemical fertilizers, reduces methane emissions from landfills and in turn lowers our carbon footprint. When food is disposed in a landfill it rots and becomes a significant source of methane – a potent greenhouse gas with 21 times the global warming potential of carbon dioxide .
Using only naturally occurring systems, the Subpod requires no power or energy, and very little water. The natural process improves the fertility in your soil to grow healthy veggies in your garden. And the underground system creates a stable and effective composting, where the plants will draw in their nutrients. Composting has never been simpler!
Inside every Subpod box you will receive:
- 1 x Subpod
- 1 x 100% Natural fibre worm blanket to keep your compost covered and worms happy
- Detailed instruction manual (printed & online)
- Access to our online community portal, Subpod Grow Hub.
- An online community hub where you can interact with other Subpod users around the globe, sharing tips, tricks, and your success stories
- Instructional videos about Subpod and composting – all you need to know to get your garden flourishing!
- DIY videos for customising your Subpod (i.e. Add a wooden slatted top)
- Attentive customer support (online & phone)
At the time of this blog, the Subpod had already exceeded its goal of $40,000 by 141%! World renowned Permaculture educator, Geoff Lawton, has been testing it at the Permaculture Research Institute inland from Byron Bay. Geoff says, “When we feed the soil we bring the food vitality and nutrient density right up to the maximum. It’s the soil ecosystem we’re stimulating. And Subpod incubates that into action. It starts that catalyst event right there in your garden. From your waste stream on your kitchen bench, straight to the garden, back to the food – where you are. You can’t do it more efficiently!”
Backed by over 20 countries, including leaders in sustainable industries, such as author and sustainable cities pioneer, Michael Mobbs, the Subpod can become the solution to help make composting part of your everyday life.